Sunday, September 20, 2009

Is it ever enough?

I was looking for some guitar tabs online for the Canon in D Major. I printed them and started practicing. Running through the notes, I began to get frustrated that there were so many notes, such a fast tempo, and the fact that it printed on multiple pages so I couldn't just look from one page to the next, that I had to flip them over.

Thinking to save myself some time, and make things simpler, I started to change the notes. Writing down places I could shave off a few, and slowing things down a bit. I tried my best to make it all fit onto one page. After an hours work, I was done. Ink dripping off my pen, shining on my music notebook. I had condensed four pages into one, and constructed just a simple line. But something wasn't right. The song sounded off, lacking that something it originally had. It wasn't satisfying to play. It wasn't what the composer had in mind.

Do you ever feel like I did? Not liking how things have been laid out, and rushing to grab your pen and notebook in order to "make it better"? What we end up with is always a mere shadow of what the original was. A cheap imitation. You see, Johann Pachelbell had a specific idea for his Canon in D. He wanted those "extra" notes, and when all is said and done, it is a beautiful, intricate song.

Did it ever occur to you that God is our "composer"? As it says in Romans 8:28,

"And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose."

God weaves occurences in our lives for his benefit, to the greater glory of his name. He predestines our lives just as a composer plans for certain notes to be played. He knows everything, is everywhere, and always has been, is, and will be. Yet, for some reason, we sometimes feel like I did while playing through music, and jump to say "God, this is too hard" or "God, you did this part wrong, it should really be like this". We doubt the perfect plan of God, and scorn his hand moving to make his intricate song in our lives. I want to challenge us all, myself included, to allow God full control of our lives, and allow him to write his song. We have no right to second guess God, and yet we still do. I hope we all resist the temptation to grab our pens and "fix" his work.

So now, I ask you, will God's work ever be enough? Or will you always try to change the notes he's written for you?

3 comments:

  1. Well written, Sir Jonathan!

    Pachelbel's Canon in D is indeed a lovely piece, and every note is necessary for it to sound its best. I like the spiritual connection as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why thank you. And I have the first few chords down, it just doesn't really have a picking pattern, so it's difficult to memorize.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am definitely liking the illustration. Good job, Jonathan!

    ReplyDelete